Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jr High Mission Trip Journal: Learning Lessons

June 22, 2010

7:55 am: in bunk: People are dropping like flies. And they are primarily in MY bunk area. I’m getting dressed and OUTTA HERE!

3:52 pm: in common area: One of the guys helping/in charge at our reforestation site is Jeff. He is a fascinating guy! He’s worked in film and tv – and not like other people when they say that – you’d actually know his work… think along the lines of Spielberg and Madonna and you’ve named 2 of MANY. He’s done a bunch of other stuff too, but definitely the most fascinating were the rumors of him being a ‘ghost hunter’. NATURALLY that peaked my curiosity. And fortunately he was on the chipping team today so I got to hear it all. I was NOT disappointed. OH! He was ALSO a physics major and is heading into the world of quantum physics as it relates to nature and spirituality. An aside: he can tell you EVERYTHING about the Ute Indians that used to inhabit the land. He can tell you everything about the minerals found in the ground where we are standing, and the fossil site down the hill that dates back 1.3 million years. FASINATING.

So, after hearing a couple of his ‘ghost’ stories I said, “Jeff, aren’t you more of a spirit see-er than a ghost hunter?’ His response, ‘Yeah – I mean, how do you kill a ghost anyway?’ True dat homes!

With him being so tuned in to the spirit world I asked him how he felt about cutting down trees – if only for overcrowding or disease (an alive tree). He told me that he lays his hands on every tree that he is to fell, and he prays and also speaks to them as to why they are being felled.

I loved everything about what he was saying… And it speaks to what I was thinking yesterday about taking care of God’s artistry. PLUS a tree is a living being, you know? It’s not a rock (which the bible says will ‘cry out’ if WE don’t praise Him – so maybe we need to rethink the inanimate too!! GOD USES IT ALL TO PRAISE HIM)

So my point is, who is ready to say they’ve got the spirit world figured out?? Do YOU know if a tree aches when it’s limbs are being torn from it or when it’s upward beauty is being ripped apart from it’s deep beautiful earthy embedded roots? Do you know what kind of humor God invoked when he created little bugs? Which deer, elk, dove, rabbit, and all other hunted for game animals, brought the biggest smile to His face when He dreamed it up?

I am ready to tell you, I HAVE NO IDEA what God is ready to for me to kill. And I am deciding right now to err on the side of caution when destroying, killing, poisoning and other bigbottomed I-am-human-hear-me-roar-rape-pillage-and-plunder, ideas.

WHO AM I ANYWAY??

Taking a gander at Job 38-41 helps me in my personal caution parade…

10:15 pm: In bed: Worship was great – these kids totally rock! I, on the other hand, am POOPED.

Goodnight Mudda

No comments:

Post a Comment